The meandering thoughts of a modern-day hearth witch.


Sunday 25 September 2011

Hearth and Home // Autumnal Altar

Ashamedly, my altar had not been attended to in a long, long time, until today. 
My time and energy has been focussed elsewhere - the allotment becoming my 'alfresco' altar over summer - and when I came to tend to it earlier today I was horrified to see a thick layer of dust covering its surface!


Now, I'm a real believer in the idea that the space you live in reflects your state of mind. 
Looking at the sad, neglected, dust-covered tools that lay, untouched, on the small wooden table, I realised its no wonder my life is feeling somewhat stagnate and my mind rather 'fuzzy' at the moment. 


The change in seasons marked by this week's equinox seems the perfect time to get my special, reflective space - and to some extent, my life - in order. So, as today was sunny and mild, B and I went for an autumnal walk and cleared the cobwebs away with a couple of hours spent tending the allotment. Clearing away patches of the earth, and collecting autumnal offerings along the way to adorn my newly dust-free altar, has helped me feel calmer and replenished my spirit.


As always, the change in seasons makes me reflect on where I am and where I would like to be as the coming months pass. The simple ritual of updating my altar has given me time to do this and enabled me to clear my mind of some of the 'fog' and tiredness caused by my job in recent weeks. Work can be like the dust on my table -  it clings to and covers everything and works its way into every element of my life, making all else feel dull and lacking energy. Its essential for us all to clear work away sometimes; to take time for ourselves and put just as much energy into the things we want to achieve in other areas of life. 

Autumn blessings. 

1 musings:

Theresa MacNaughton said...

Oh, I just love all the beautiful fall colors. They make me smile. This is such a truly magical time of year!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I truly love to hear your contributions.

Related Posts with Thumbnailslinkwithin_text='From the same cauldron...'