The meandering thoughts of a modern-day hearth witch.


Tuesday 3 August 2010

Belated Lammas Blessings

 One of the things I love most about living in the countryside is that you can see the seasons changing, almost moment by moment, everywhere around you. 



This field was crammed full of wheat when I walked through it a couple of weeks ago.
On Sunday, there was not a grain in sight: it had all been harvested.


August 1st, although called by different names according to different traditions and cultures, is known to myself and many others here in England as Lammas. This comes from the phrase 'loaf mass' in reference to the first wheat harvest. By baking and breaking bread, on this day we celebrate the success of the crops.

This year I celebrated Lammas day with a family feast and a long walk, enjoying the blessings of the land, the sun and the food they provide. 

I hope you all enjoyed yours. 

3 musings:

the Lola Letters said...

Wheat fields are one of my favorite places to photograph! It's always bittersweet when they disappear at the end of summer, but it also means that fall (my favorite) is on its way!

brandi said...

~happy belated lammas blessings to you and yours...sounds as if the day was well spent and savored...the fields are amazing...the gifts of nature always fill me with great joy...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

Mother Moon said...

a blessed lammas to you as well...

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I truly love to hear your contributions.

Related Posts with Thumbnailslinkwithin_text='From the same cauldron...'